Subject: [Leica] nikkor 50/1.4 ltm
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu May 11 22:32:58 2006

Steve:  I used to have the close-focusing Nikkor.  It's the same
modified-Sonnar optical formula as the ones that don't close-focus.  It has
a mount that focuses down to about 1/2 meter.  You feel a little "bump" as
you turn the focusing ring closer than about one meter, at which point the
lens has decoupled from the RF.  Bring your tape measure.

According to the usual Reliable Sources, the 50/1.4 Nikkor in LTM lens was
the best 50/1.4 available until Walter Mandler came up with the 1962
formula for the Summilux. The Nikkor was quite usable at f/1.4, but had
some flare issues, wasn't as good a landscape lens as its Zeiss parent, and
never got really good in the corners.  This was the trade-off for some
improvements (to Japanese and US photojournalist eyes) over the
contemporary Leitz and Zeiss lenses in the available light
department.  Modern lenses are sharper and contrastier.  I sold mine after
I got a V/C 50 Nokton.

Here's a couple of wide-open shots with the 50/1.4 Nikkor.  The room was
lit only with Christmas lights:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/claire_surreal.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/paula_harpo.htm

--Peter