Subject: [Leica] 75-90mm lenses - Opinions
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon May 8 23:55:45 2006

Jeffery:

The late-model 90/2 Summicron (not the aspheric) is my current
favorite.  This is the one with the 55mm filter thread.  There is also a
version with a transitional mount, optically the same, with a 49mm thread
and a lens hood that telescopes over the f-stop ring--I have this
one.  It's 410 gm, so it's not much heavier than he current Elmarit.

Why did I choose this over the ASPH?  For one thing, cost--you can get a
late classic Summicron for $600-ish.  The ASPH is incredible wide
open.  It's like the current 50 Summicron, but at nearly 2x
magnification.  But it's heavier (over 500 gm), and the depth-of-field
appears to fall off faster--it's a sharp peak rather than a broad hump.  If
I made part of my living doing stage photography, I'd probably get the ASPH.

But most of my wide-open shooting is with the 50 or 35.  So I stayed with
the classic formula for the 90.  At f/2 it's quite usable, at f/2.8 it's
great, and at f/4 an smaller you have to look with an Erwin Puts eye to see
much difference between it, the ASPH, and the current Elmarit.

If you just want an outdoor lens, the V/C 90/3.5 can't be beat.  That's
what I travel with.  Small, light, and very, very sharp, even wide open.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] 75-90mm lenses - Opinions)