Subject: [Leica] B&W Conversion options
From: at (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed May 10 08:11:33 2006

Hi Bob,
I tried two - rgb2gray and BW converter (photoplugins), both are free,
both work very well but the interface for rgb2grey is a bit primitive
and tiny.
With BW converter you get the option of filtering in red yellow blue
green cyan and magenta channels + gamma correction + 5 film type presets
2 prestes for photoshop and linear filtering,
a grain control, color filtering and a toner control, you can also save
your preferences (if you find any). The display is zoomable and a left
mouse click is used to switch between BW and colour.
Disadvantages: it only works on 8-bit and only in Gatesware (not on a
Granny Smith machine)
Find it at (their other stuff is good too - and
just as free)

bob palmieri wrote:

> Folks -
> Shot some shots of the immigration rally here in Chicago last week;
> here's a coupla samples:
> Liked the color thing, but decided to try to convert to B&W.  I think
> maybe in the case of the first one I might need the color to establish
> contrast in the light as shot, but I was wondering about these
> dedicated "convert to B&W" tools.  Do they do more than an artful
> application of channel mixer & curves? If so, which tools really work
> for you? If not, do some of you have favorite ratios & shapes for the
> manual method?
> I promise I'll search the archives since I've been out of touch with
> this list for awhile but since this sort of thing seems like an
> ever-changing game I thought I'd throw this out there.
> I'm also interested in knowing how people feel about the use of color
> vs B&W for documentary-style snapping in general, although I suppose
> it really depends on the individual image...
> Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from evegir at (Eve Girard) ([Leica] B&W Conversion options)