Subject: [Leica] stand-alone DNG storage
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Thu May 4 13:18:11 2006

Doug,

I have the Hyperdrive HD80 (same as the PD70X) (www.hyperdrive.com) and I
like it very much.

Pros:  Runs on AAs (runs forever on the fancy lithium AAs), fast as hell,
feels nice and sturdy, verifies that files have been copied successfully,
relatively cheap, various size hard drives available inside (or put your
own in).
Cons: No screen for viewing images (only text with info about success of
the copy, number of files, hard drive space, etc.)

This seems to me to be a no-nonsense device made for a working photographer
who needs quick backup but doesn't need to view images on the device.  Some
reject it since you can't view the images...because of their voices, I was
nervous until I used it for a while and didn't have any problems.  Now I'm
comfy with it.  It's up to you how you feel about this issue and whether
you have time to get comfy with it before your trip.

I think the best place to do research about this stuff is on dpreview
storage&media forum...there's a lot of user experience with different
devices there.

Best,
Aaron

PS--From what I've read, Ipods are NOT a good choice for image backup b/c
they're supposedly slow and power-hungry, being designed primarily for
audio and not for this use.