Subject: [Leica] car painting fiasco
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Mon May 1 16:20:17 2006

sweet barking cheese --
  i recently found myself in posession of a cute little '64 corvette with
the factory paint job and largely origional interior (though for some
reason, someone had installed a holly hobbie tape player and bubble horn
where the tachometer should be). i decided that it would be nice to have it
spruced up a bit but i nearly fell off my chair when i found out how much ye
local highway robbers wanted to repaint it. while chatting this out at the
pub one night over noctilux's and stouts with a few P-LUGgers, one mentioned
that he had a friend who refinished leica cameras and, well, cars and
cameras both being made mostly of metal with a few leather bits, he could
probably paint my car for me.
  i called him up and a bit of back and forth and a few masonic handshakes
later (the son from the north had to eventually ask for the brother from the
east to make a three fingered elkshorn for the great and silent moon river,
but it got settled, so i'm happy), he agreed to do it.
  i dropped my car off on friday and was pleased to hear him say it would be
done by the following monday. much to my dismay, when i arrived to pick it
up, it had been transformed into a fake gold and black luftwaffle
volkswagen, complete with garish eagles and a swastica it's going to take me
a month to get off with a belt sander.
  i was dejectedly sitting at a traffic light considering just driving the
whole thing into the schulkill when a man riding past on a vintage1947
Triumph Bombast skidded to a stop, spilling his latte on my right front
fender, and remarked "great jangling bells of hades! is that a luftwaffle
volkswagen?" -- i made a hasty judgement based solely on the look of utter
amazement covering his face like a wet towel over a dead hooker and assured
him that it was.
  he was a software engineer recently made millionare by some dot com or
other escaping chapter 11 and dumping their shares on the market at tragic
prices while the execs puffed up their earnings by simply adding a bunch of
zeroes before the decimal place. he offered me four times what i'd paid for
it, including the crappy paint job, and i handed him the pink slip on the
spot.
  on the whole, it wasn't a bad experience but it's learned me to be wary of
what luggers say after a few warm beers.

kc

i'm finding it absolutely impossible to get the exchange web client to send
an email in freaking ascii. i apologise for the html. i'll send bill gates
hate mail when i get home.

Replies: Reply from lists at paulhardycarter.com (PHC) ([Leica] car painting fiasco)