Subject: [Leica] Chernobyl Legacy
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Apr 25 18:07:45 2006

At 08:27 PM 4/25/06 -0400, Walt Johnson wrote:

>I can't help but feel our system of CYA is far superior and
>Three Mile Island comes to mind.  Lack luster Russian engineering aside,
>the  reactions of our own  (edited out in my original post) Christian
>Right salivating over a "commie disaster" is hard to deny.  Holier than
>thou always strikes me as the unholiest of all.

Walt

I concur that TMI shows that a properly designed nuclear reactor cannot
cause a serious problem to the environment.

I am not certain why you insist on conflating Christian and Right-Wing --
many Christians are rather Left-Wing politically, and many Right-Wingers
are agnostic, if that matters a bit.  And I do not recall any of the sort
of polemics of the sort you describe when the Chernobyl disaster occurred -
and at that time, I was rather active in what you would probably describe
as "Right-Wing" politics.  I do recall a lot of comments from engineers
about the various warnings the West had sent the USSR over the decade or
more prior to the disaster about the dangers they were running. though.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Chernobyl Legacy)