Subject: [Leica] Chernobyl Legacy
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Apr 25 14:42:07 2006

At 03:31 PM 4/25/06 -0400, Walt Johnson wrote:
>Unfortunately, I'll bet many right wingers  reacted to Chernobyl much
>the same way the Reagan administration did to  KAL 007. You know, God
>points a finger at the Evil Empire.

Walt

It is a bit more complex than that.  The USSR opted for cutting some
technical edges which ought not to have been cut, and the Chernobyl
disaster resulted.  The only "right-wing" comment on the event was to point
out the danger of allowing a single entity -- the same government agency --
to design, build, and inspect something as dangerous as a nuclear pile.
(In the West, nuclear plants are designed by private industry to government
standards, and are inspected by an agency completely distinct from that
which set out the standards, to ensure inspection by a neutral entity.)

There are some engineers on this List who probably can speak to more detail
about this, but I would direct your attention to the rather lengthy report
run in THE ECONOMIST, a publication of a mildly pinkish nature, around 1986
or 1987, which discussed the technical gaps the Soviets attempted to jump
and did so though, in the end, unsuccessfully.  The other side is that
Chernobyl was one of seeral dozens of Soviet power plants using the same
technology, and the others are still in use today.  The successor
governments will not tell us much about safety measures taken to ensure no
repeat of the Chernobyl disaster.

The good news is that Northern Hemisphere winds normally blow west to east.
 The bad news for Sweden, a nation of appallingly arrogant insistence that
it had no dog in the Cold War fight, was that the winds briefly blew from
Chernobyl to Sweden.  Couldn't have happened to a better target.  But, in
the future, if such a problem should occur again, the radiation path will
probably spread over Russia and not over western Europe.

Mind you, I am not in favor of nuclear disasters but a well-run nuclear
plant is the most effective method for the production of power.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Chernobyl Legacy)