Subject: [Leica] The perfect place to live...
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Apr 22 17:27:37 2006

David,
The Sand Hill Cranes are still mostly down in Nebraska along the Platte
river.  They are just starting to move north so give yourself a month or so
and tens of thousands will pass your way.  You will need a very long lens or
a very good blind, these birds are beyond shy.  Sometime in their genetic
past something hunted them that could get them from hundreds of yards away.

I remember trying to photograph them two years ago along the Platte.  Sit
down on an embankment and sit very still.  They moved away another hundred
yards.  Stay very still on the embankment they gradually "graze" even
further away.  Dare to turn my head to look another direction and they leave
the field.

Still, they were worth the time just to watch them.  I really need to see my
family up there next year in early April.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com