Subject: [Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 20 20:42:36 2006

This appears to me to be aimed at the d?cor high end market. But maybe not.
It would be bought by an interior decorator to be put over a sofa worth less
than 10s of thousands of dollars. We have one gallery in Portland which is
aimed at that market. And $1900 would be at their very low end. Might give
you something for over an end table.
Apparently in an office of a well to do financial-investment corporation;
people in the money business or top law office or other such - your sofa
should cost so much or you're not competitive your rug should cost so many
tens of thousands and the wallpaper in a frame over that sofa should cost so
many tens of thousands. To maintain credibility in the business. Peer group
pressure etc.  So then this Morando piece would not be credible in the high
end office d?cor market. It's too cheap - for prints that size in a market
which seems to sell by the square foot. There is a NEED to spend a decimal
point more money than to maintain a perceived credibility. If you don't give
them an opportunity to spend that much they move on to someone who will,
Someone in the running. Usually its found in a gallery appealing to a
certain market.
The Robert Klein gallery is not that market and has the highest reputation
in the serious fine art market, It may be the singe most respected photo
gallery in the world I've read recently. No d?cor wallpaper in a frame and
has a range of price points which you can see on the site:
"View by Price
     Under $750
    $751 to $1,500
    over $1,500"
Pick your poison.
If you're dead your work is way into the third line. If you're newer at the
game its going to be certainly under the first line. Which doesn't go that
far below the amount named from what all I saw. But they appeared all to be
farily established artists. Not that I recognized the names but the work to
me had strong authority.
These prices are not unusual and represent what the bulk of legitimate
galleries would price comparative work. I know there are many which delve
into a lower bracket which does apply to up and comer photogs or just
smaller towns.

If one had no interest in such things I've always wondered why make sweeping
statements about it?
One could have a passing cursory interest in photography and make a sweeping
statement that a camera going for a few grand which has zero amenities would
be an obvious ridiculous joke appealing only to a certain kind of idiot with
more money than brains.
To the people with real interest in these cameras and the photography
business its insulting but more an insult to the speaker than the listener.
The same would apply to people having zero interest or appreciation of art
markets making your classic redundant repetitive repetitive redundant
statements about that. Paint on canvas going for a million dollars? What a
joke!
An image in a mat and frame which was done mechanically (with light and
lens) not by hand with brush or painting knife going for the same? What
sucker would get involved in such things?!
People with an interest in art one would think. And or Photographic art. And
having a million dollars for an image for their vault or hallway for that
price point I just named. I think there may be some tax write-off or
something. Or it looks more fun than a stack of greenbacks. There are plenty
of price points to choose from in the art world it doesn't take much to
check them out and see what might appeal to you and learn to weed out the
stupid stuff from the legitimate stuff. A cursory glance at Marialuisa
Morando - $1900 doesn't make me smell a rat. Feels legit to me. The program
is unfortunate and the limited edition baloney which goes against the nature
of the photographic process.

The Wall Street Journal had an article I've quoted on the lug many times a
few years back that an investment in art; not and offset ink paper print in
a frame in which what you are really buying is the frame.,...an investment
in something resembling real art even going for 50 or a hundred bucks...from
a street artist even...
Should that artist remain mediocre your investment would triple in ten
years.
Should the artist attain some acclaim it would grow in value by decimal
points. At least one, maybe two.
And should that artist happen to croak your investment then shoots up many
more decimal points.
This wall street journal article said the best INVESTMENT BAR NONE including
real estate or whatever bonds is an investment in ART.
Which means it didn't come off a offset press a thousand per minute on shiny
paper. Did I say that already?

Or that granny did the highlights with a small brush and white Titanium
Dioxide White paint on the black velvet canvas and junior drew the spots on
the dog with earth color pigments out of the front yard.
Plus you get something which might look nice or at least interesting on a
wall somewhere in your house of office even. Or RV.
Or your light proof humidity controlled vault.
In your RV.

And you can brag to your friends... Fool the burglars....

Someone's money in a house can be tied up in an innocuous drawing hanging on
a wall at the top of a staircase in a bland frame. Enough to buy several
thousand VCR's. Gets passed over. Would not look good over the burglars TV
table.

Mark Rabiner, Photographer, Wanderer, Mover and Groover.
Studio-Residence Phone: 503.221.0301
Cellphone I have with me half the time: 503.515.5565
1905 Not after May 1. As I'm skipping out to the east coast.
Will be on the road the whole of May as they fix up and sell my house and
belongings.
Website in flux but there's hope: www.rabinergroup.com
A big email guy: mark@rabinergroup.com  even on the road.
The Cellphone also will be in full swing on the road.
The website updated daily in May on the road with all waitresses, breakfast
plates and "Travels with Elmo".

Mark