Subject: [Leica] wiping wet negs
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Sun Apr 16 21:00:47 2006

>Ted Wrote:
>FIRST OF ALL IMMEDIATELY STOP WIPING THE NEGATIVES WITH ANYTHING!! PERIOD!
>fINGER SKIN, >CHAMOIS NOTHING IS FIT TO WIPE WET NEGATIVES AND I DON'T CARE
>WHAT ANYONE ELSE TELLS >YOU! DON'T BLOODY WELL DO IT!

Ted, and everybody-
OK!!
I'm very happy to hear a method that involves no conact whatsoever. I gotta
admit that the re-dip in water after photo-flo seems counterintuitve, but
here goes. I also like Don's suggestion about denatured alcohol, but
couldn't that get pricey, and can you get it at Wal-mart without a
prescription? The snap-flick of the reels makes perfect sense. In case
you're wondering, I hang dry, without air flow, in the plastic bag
gang-drier at school when no one else is around.
(BTW- last step in clean-up for me has been to dip the reels and tank in fix
before washing thoroughly with tap water. I've never had any buildup of
photo-flo junk.)
I was taught the finger-squeegee method too, and used it up to a couple of
years ago, and I'll probably keep teaching it to my students. They're only
in high school and there's a limit to how much technique you can burden them
with, plus I'd be running out to buy distilled water all the time.
Philosophical issue: weighing how much finesse of technique to burden them
with when they are just going to leave class and get a digital p&s. The kids
that stick with it get the secrets of the inner sanctum, otherwise its all I
can do to keep them from whining about getting their hands wet. Fookin' kids!
Aside all the other wonderful things about the List, the thing it does
absolutely the best is distill years of arcane and hard-won knowledge and
throw it instantly into the lap of the asker. Gotta love it.
Thanks everybody-
Arche

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] wiping wet negs)