Subject: [Leica] Hushpuppies was Week 14
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Apr 11 16:27:45 2006

One of my all-time favorite food moments:

Back in about 1985, I was having supper at a fish house in Manteo, NC
(that's where they lost the Lost Colony) with a sports reporter. We
had just collected our stuff for our upcoming high school football
special edition, mug shots, interviews, and such.

For those of you who may have led underprivileged lives, a hushpuppy
is a nice little elongated blob of mostly yellow corn meal fried in
very hot deep fat. A treasured Southern bread staple.

Sitting in the adjoining booth was a middle aged couple with quite
thick Northern US accents. The husband leaned against the wall, one
leg stretched across the bench seat, savoring a hush puppy. I will
admit they were among the best around.

Anyway, the husband says to the wife, "These are really quite good. I
wonder how they catch these hushpuppies."

To this day I fantasize about selling hushpuppy pots like some
miniature lobster pot in tourist traps.

I also decided that, with the texture of a hushpuppy being what it
is, if they were of animal origin, I likely would be unable to eat
another.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies