Subject: [Leica] 50 asph lux: any mushy feel on focusing?
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Tue Apr 11 09:00:22 2006

Andrew Moore <moore@comcast.net> wrote:

I handled a 50/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH (black) briefly and found the
focusing to
be ever so slightly "mushy" or "spongy" at one end (close focus, I
think).
This is similar to the feel I found on the second version Tri-Elmar
(never
tried first version).  On all other M lenses I've found the focus to be
smooth and solid from one end to the other - no change in resistance as
you
move the ring.  I wonder if there's a difference in the way the
focusing is
designed (I think Erwin's site confirms a difference in the 50/2
"anniversary edition" summicron focusing helix, for example).

I'm not trying to start rumors, and I know it sounds silly and it's not
too
big a deal but I'm curious if anyone has noticed anything similar.
Maybe
the brass (silver/chrome coated) lenses handle differently from the
black
anodized ones.

Andrew -

I gotta tellya, the only ones I've played with felt exactly the same
way.  Could be the floating group (or element, whatever) thing.

In fact, I have a late spherical 50 'lux.  There are all kinds of
things about this lens someone could cop an attitude about (field
curvature, not so great away from the center 'specially opened up,
whatever.)  Thing is, the focussing action on this lens is absolutely
flawless, the most responsive ring I have around here.  Fast rack,
light damping, never binds, etc.  And for me, the ergonomics override
any of these flaws for the way I use this thing.  The snappy center and
freedom from flare also enter into the equation, I suppose.

Bob Palmieri