Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Fri Apr 7 18:10:32 2006

A couple of recent posts on this thread reminded me of when I took a Photo 1
class at U. Fla. in 1979.  Of course there were like six sections, all
taught by grad students, but every term Jerry Uelsmann would descend from
Olympias, and give the collective throng a pep talk. According to the grad
students it was about the only teaching he did, aside from taking the new
grad students out to his own darkroom once a year to reveal the mysteries of
the inner sanctum.
There are two things I remember about his lecture.
He described what it was like to walk around with a camera. He said that
from where he was standing it was a fifty yard walk to his parked car, and
it might take him a minute and a half to get there. But if he were carrying
a camera, that same walk might take him an hour because he would be looking
at everything to see if he could find a photograph in it.
The other thing I remember was that his favorite adjective wasn't 'neat' or
'cool' - things were 'trippy'.
 Arche

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] why we photograph?)