Subject: [Leica] A few uploads
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Apr 7 08:15:46 2006

Tina:

Your work is beautiful. I know you would not be making the sacrifices
you are called on to make for any other reasons than the right ones.
Resnick's write up makes several strong points which I certainly agree
with. He also makes several I'd argue about till hell freezes over.
Young idealists may well lose a lot of verve over the years but even the
most humanitarian soul can develop callouses. To attribute that to a
strictly financial cause seems superficial.

To speak of "hidden stories" as he did really begs the question. Who, in
even the most backwoods area of Earth, doesn't know the scale of human
suffering which has always existed? I was on an island off the coast of
Haiti with a group of missionaries who set up a makeshift clinic. One
child was ill from lack of good nutrition and died. Later that same day
another came in who appeared as if he might follow suite. The nearest
decent medical service was hours away by trail but much closer by boat.

A neighbor of the sick child's family had a boat but haggled
relentlessly over money for the trip. Very mercenary but hardly unusual.
This kind of thing can be witnessed more often than not in these
situations and it certainly can tinge our humanity with cynicism. Yet, a
numberer of good people, such as yourself, continue the effort and that
is commendable. You all do make a difference and even if it is only in
one families well-being, that makes it worthwhile.

Walt

p.s. The Baughman Pulitzer story can be made short and sweet and if I
recall it had to do with setting up images. Of course time does have a
tendency to flavor our impressions...Good Morning America (I believe)
set us straight on one misconception, making Judas Iscariot a nice guy.
:-P Well hell, why not? Da Vinci turned out to be a secret agent for the
Pope, didn't he? The next big multi-million dollar flavor of the day
story might go something like this; Hitler was really a nice guy and
liked Jews and communists.