Subject: [Leica] Another 50 for the Jeffster
From: bruent at shaw.ca (Bruce)
Date: Thu Mar 30 07:30:22 2006

> John van Stelten is getting ready to polish, clean, uncement, cement,
> and
> coat a nice Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 LTM lens for me. Wish me luck. I have a
> 50/1.5 in Contax mount, but my Contax is not terribly light-tight, and
> I've
> never been able to give that lens a good workout.
> Any of you have experience with the 50/1.5 Sonnar?
> Jeffery Smith
I got one in Contax mount last year which I use infrequently, mostly
night-time and wide open. I like it, but do not often use the Contax
(or 50s). This sample has what looks like partial separation of some
lens elements, this has no definite effect on the images. I have not
noticed flaring. I use it with  a not so nice rubber lens hood - I
tried a nicer metal hood which fits a 2.0 Sonnar but not this one,
perhaps the thread is damaged or less standard. This Sonnar is a later
coated type and I am curious to try the earlier (only stops down to
f/11) uncoated version.