Subject: [Leica] Horology
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sun Mar 26 10:11:49 2006

Jeff Moore writes:

> 2006-03-26-00:44:16 Will von Dauster:
> > Does IWC still make their own calibres? Just curious. Very nice
> > watches regardless!
>
> That's an excellent question, one they're not too clear about, at
> least in the literature I've found easily; perhaps someone with some
> actual knowledge, not talking out his buttocks like me, will chime in.

Yes, they do. Not to the extent that they were prior to quartz watches
almost killing off the Swiss watch business in the late 1960's/early 70's.

They started to go back to more inhouse movements in the year 2000 with the
release of their Pellaton Cal. 5000 design for their Portuguese 2000 watch.

> I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of their mainstream designs
> have ETA innards, in common with practically the entire rest of the
> industry.  The watch I just bought presumably has an ETA-sourced
> calibre.  I have no complaint about the quality of ETA movements, but
> it's more than a little, well, dreary that you're so much less likely
> to find the individualistic mechanical marvels of each watch company
> within the case.
>
> I wonder if there are still a few models with Jaeger-LeCoultre bits
> inside, as certainly used to be true in the past.

My Mark XII Pilot's Watch uses the excellent 36 Jewel 884/2 Cal. movement
which was designed by IWC but assembled by JLC. Another exceptional Calibre.

> I don't know about some of the more elaborate IWC efforts -- are the
> movements for their more over-the-top watches (the Grande
> Complication, or the Portuguese Tourbillon Mystere, for example) their
> own design, or have such things as those become commodities as well?

All of their complications are in-house designed and manufactured to my
knowledge.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Horology)