Subject: [Leica] Re: Technical vs. artistic skill
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Mar 24 18:47:49 2006

B.D.
This is actually fairly interesting.  I have been following a bunch of 14-18
year olds in their first photography courses at various private schools in
the area.  Above average kids for the most part but probably not MIT
material.  Most of them start out with mums old whatever 35mm.  It might be
an SRT, it could be a new film Rebel.  For the most part the images are OK
technically, the problem is the old vision thing.  Some kids can see, some
can't and never will, and the larger majority can't see now but probably
could if shown what a good image might be and the how to of getting there.

I suppose the base of my argument is that more might not be better.  300 bad
images do not teach a better lesson than 35.  I don't actually think that a
film camera is the best learning tool for newbies.  Unlimited shooting
probably causes the brain to stop working and random chance to take over;
this is the same argument we had a while back about 8FPS versus a skilled
eye and knowledge of the activity.  I believe that if I taught beginning
students again I would start with a 64MB card so that they had to plan what
they would do and execute.  This would be similar to the IB art course where
the students have to keep a journal that explains influences and planned
direction for parcticular pieces of work.

Hook the digital to a large screen TV and show what happens when you change
a control.  Provide a very limited assignment and make the student show the
images to the class, all of them.  The temporary embarassment of the image
with the coke bottle that slipped in will be more than made up for with the
feedback.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com