Subject: [Leica] WAS David Seymour on NPR..NOW; UNDER THE WEIRD PHOTOS
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Mar 24 10:16:19 2006

It does seem many of us have similar feelings toward this "magazine!" ;-)

Notice I didn't say, "photography magazine." ;-)

However, in Ottawa, the seat of the government, read whatever you wish in
"seat" when it's used with government. ;-) A major photo exhibition was
funded by said government with a grand opening party held with great fan
fare, wine, cheese, BS speeches and all the notable "arteests" in
attendance.

Of course a number of "working paying our taxes photographers" were also
invited. But as a clan we stayed close together as we walked the gallery
examining the "works of art?" While attempting to keep our mouths shut and
anger levels in low gear at what we were looking at in these great works of
"art!" :-(

And the exhibition was?

The work of photographers who saved the first frames from a loading wherever
the camera was pointing as they advanced and shot the first few frames.

Floors, trunks of cars with gear bags, empty film boxes, near naked models
in fashion shoots. These were a "big hit,wink,;-) wink;-)." Quite an amazing
collection of junk that we mere mortals would clip and throw after film
drying and sleeving the negs.

But these guys got the crazy idea first of all as a joke to present it as an
"art piece exhibition" to the curator of the government photo gallery. The
curator thought it a magnificent concept and bought into it hook line and
sinker!

Cost? Hell who knows, but it was in the multi thousands of dollars for
expenses of flying people in for this "most unusual and imaginative works of
art?" :-(

We the working stiff tax paying photographers were livid to say the least
knowing all this money was being spent on a great big pile of "merde!" One
of our better known rabble rousing colleagues, after several glasses of wine
finally
lost it and went after the curator loud and clear telling her exactly what
he thought of her extravagant waste of his tax dollars and that of other
working photographers.

One might say the curator was more than slightly embarrassed at this
outrages rogue haranguing her in front of  "art friends who always gave the
impression the curator walked on water with her photographic art
brilliance!" :-)

We, the working guys, stood back and smiled with a sort of satisfaction
knowing someone had the guts to take her on and call it what it really was..
"A big pile of merde!" ;-) I you do not know the meaning of this word, then
think bowel movement! ;-)

So the concept of the LUG crew doing something similar between ourselves is
a neat idea simply because it's a game that can be fun for all. Although it
may make afew of us dust off teh "film Leica" to produce images. ;-)

And lets not have anybody take this seriously, keep it a fun thing!  And if
anyone does take it seriously then there's an idiot amongst us!  On the LUG?
Never old chap and chapettes! ;-) Damn poor sport you know. ;-)

Of course never on the LUG! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from jwlee01 at gmail.com (John Lee) ([Leica] WAS David Seymour on NPR..NOW; UNDER THE WEIRD PHOTOS)
Message from datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff) ([Leica] David Seymour on NPR)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] David Seymour on NPR)