Subject: [Leica] Olympus DSLR
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Mar 19 18:44:25 2006

Jeffery Smith wrote:

China is making electric guitars better than they were made 40 years ago and
for about the same price as electric guitars 30 years ago. Computer
automated machine tool technology is a great equalizer these days. For us,
it means quality stuff at rock bottom prices. Unfortunately, it also means
that products made in the USA are just too expensive to buy for their
mediocre quality.

---------------------

I don't feel ripped off when I play my Tom Anderson Cobra, or
Gibson L4 or Hamer Archtop (not that pricey actually) or any of
my other USA guitars. Quality is top notch. Same goes for my
Mesa Boogie Mark III, or Fender Princeton (nicely rehabbed).
Or how about some nice Joe Barden pickups in my Strat?
Love'em.

Look folks - cheaper is just that: cheaper.

I believe that nice things *can* be made all over the world, sure.
I believe that there are probably *some* nice things made today
in most parts of the world. Why not?

But in general, I don't think that lots of nice things are the generally
the byproduct of using whatever happens to be the world's low cost
unskilled labor pool at any given moment.  Nope, generally just
cheaper and cheaper junk for us, and the "Walmart set" consumers
just seem to keep lapping it all up.

Dismal.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Olympus DSLR)