Subject: [Leica] Re: where was it made?
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 09:17:05 2006

<<Apple Mac's had a MADE IN USA feel to them but they were MADE IN IRELAND of
all places. Where they still make flashbulbs. They went from Pixies to
Pixels.>>

My Mac 128 was made in Cupertino, as was my Mac Powerbook 160 and Mac Duo
280. But my G3 Powerbook and G4 Powerbooks were assembled in Taiwan. My just
purchased (and superb) 20" iMac with an Intel processor was assembled in
China. My first Leica camera was made in Germany but successive models were
made in Portugal, Canada, and Japan. My Leica Digilux was also made in
Japan. The only thing Leica about it was the red dot and the sticker
attached to the bottom. My Saab 92-X, bought at a GM dealership, was made by
Subaru in Japan. Nothing Swedish about it except the name. On the other
hand, my daughter's Subaru was made in Indiana. Subaru recently inked a
contract to make Toyotas in their US plant. Recently some GM and Toyota cars
both came off the same assembly line in California, differing primarily by a
bit of sheet m
etal and the nameplates. My neighbor's BMW was made in South Carolina. And
some Volkswagens are still made in Mexico and Brazil. I drink beer made in
Canada and wine from New York. Frozen sushi sold in Japan is made in
California by Mexican workers and the fresh fruit on my table probably comes
from Peru. I'm almost certain that the grass that kid down the street smokes
comes from Columbia. It has a Latin American smell about it.

Where a product is made is almost irrelevant. Where the profits stay is
important.

Larry Z