Subject: [Leica] was so long rodinal now old tech
From: deveney.marty at saugov.sa.gov.au (Deveney, Marty (PIRSA))
Date: Wed Mar 15 23:12:18 2006

A few old tech things from recent threads I thought I'd comment on.

Anyone who misses Rodinal can can make their own easily.  If you use the
potassium salts instead of the sodium ones (as is/was the common practice in
Germany) you can make a developer so close to the original as to provide
indistinguishable results.  It's quite amazing.  The Formulary substitute is
also very, very close.  Be careful with chemicals; read the MSDS sheets for
all the chemicals.  Get someone who is experienced with working with
chemicals to do it for you if you're really nervous or inexperienced.
Potassium hydroxide is kind of nasty.  I personally think there are much
better, modern developers available.

I have come to the conclusion that all films are sufficiently different that
while some similarities can be observed between individual products, if an
old favourite vanishes, then you need to find an acceptable substitute and
work to optimise it, but accept that it will never look exactly the same as
the old favourite.  Acros, FP4+ and Plus-X are really nice cubic-grain films
in the same speed range as APX100 and there are plenty of 400 speed films to
experiment with as an APX 400 substitute.  The main characteristic of the
APX films that I will miss is their ability to retain good edge sharpness
even when processed in very heavily aged, seasoned replenishment systems
that contain high concentrations of sulfite and bisulfite.

someone commented about Fomapan 200:
>> I do like the rich grays in that film. I'll get a few rolls when I
>> order some Rodinal. What did you develop your FOMA film in?
>9 minutes in HC-110 dilution F  (1:79) @ 20C/68F will do ok with 1
>minute of prewashing.
>I'm testing this film (fomapan 200), but still need to shoot at least
>one more roll to end an early field testing . Anyway they are T-grain
>films, close to TMaX 100. I will rate it more or less like ISO 160,
>but again, it's just an informed guessing :)

I became a Fomaphile in the Czech Republic about 10 years ago.  I've shot
and processed several hundred rolls of all kinds of their films.

Whether a film is t-grain or not is not a cut and dried issue.  Film
emulsions don't contain only monosize (and I include 't-grain' or flat,
epitaxial and  other single size silver crystal technologies) or only
traditional mixed size cubic grain but a mix of the two.  Manufacturers
usually use their own designation when about 80% or more of all grains are
monosize (of whatever type), but there is no standard.

Fomapan 200 is not a flat-grain / 't-grain' film.  It is not a monosize
emulsion either, but a traditional cubic grain film, albeit with some very
clever dopants incorporated in the emulsion that accelerate developer
activity and minimise grain.  I have electron microscopy and mass
spectroscopy data to support this somewhere.

Foma 200 is a very nice film and has lovely tonality.  All Foma films work
very well in D76, either straight or dilute depending on the look you prefer.

A significant confusing factor in this is that when first marketed, Fomapan
200 was sold as `Foma T 200`, a move which succeeded in doing nothing but
forcing Foma's US distributor to withdraw product from the US market for a
time because of threatening legal stuff from Kodak, who felt that the
product name infringed Kodak's copyright over the use of T* as a name for
film.

There also used to be T 800 - a great, now also gone film.  It had some QA
problems, which may have led to its demise.

The Foma T films were (maybe still is in the case of the 200) repackaged and
sold as Paterson Acupan.

Later,

Marty