Subject: [Leica] Breakfast - I figured it out!!
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Mar 8 14:55:10 2006

At 05:34 PM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
>Man I know some folks must begin to think I'm an idiot for this time
>after time, but I'm looking at the results I get against how much
>better would this photograph be if I did all the other fixin' some
>folks go through?
>
>ted

Ted -  You're not doing anything wrong.  It's only when you get into
converting the photos for the web that you might get into
trouble.  My files from the Canons look great without any color
adjusting but they include a much wider range of colors than can be
displayed on the web.  The web uses sRGB which is a very small gamut
compared to some of the print gamuts.  If you are shooting in sRGB,
you won't see any difference at all, but I shoot in the widest
possible gamut because a lot of what I do ends up being printed
either on my printer or at a lab which can use more colors than the
web.  When you convert from the wide gamut used for print files to
the smaller gamut used for the web, the software makes decisions
about which colors to clip so they will fit in the smaller gamut.  I
was making the mistake of just assigning the smaller profile without
first converting the profile to sRGB so the software had no idea
which colors should be clipped and just did it randomly with awful
results.  If you go in Photoshop to Edit > under Color Settings you
will see Assign Profile and Convert to Profile.  I was Assign instead
of Convert.  You can try it for some photos and see what a drastic
difference it makes.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Breakfast)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Breakfast - I figured it out!!)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Breakfast - I figured it out!!)