Subject: [Leica] WAS: New online photo exhibitionNOW: KEEPING NOTES.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Mar 5 19:42:38 2006

David Keenan offered: wise comment!
> > I figure that in the long run I don't really care (and no one else
> > should either) if a photograph was exposed at speed X and f-stop Y. The
> > image is what counts and it is successful or a failure regardless of
> > technical exposure data -- at least IMHO... <<<

Hi David,
Wise words of wisdom me old son! :-)

When I first started playing photographer someone told me I should keep
notes of every frame just in case I required it for future reference in how
to take the same kind of photo again.

Now doesn't that sound brilliant? Let's say it lasted about a half dozen
rolls and many pages of a note book. Then I realized how stupid this "note
taking was." I was spending more time writing all this stuff .... just in
case I might need it to take the same kind of picture again?

My intentions in photo life were to be a photojournalist and never shoot the
same picture twice, so why would I waste all this good picture taking time
logging all this foolishness. Much like we see in photo magazines and other
locations.. like who cares!

However there are times when it's a particular visual effect, blurred action
for example, where a shutter speed makes the difference whether it works or
not. Other than that sort of thing it's a complete waste of time.

And that ended my keeping track of what lens, what camera, what film and all
the other dumb unnecessary photo things people keep track of.... "just in
case!"

ted

Replies: Reply from nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts) ([Leica] WAS: New online photo exhibitionNOW: KEEPING NOTES.)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] WAS: New online photo exhibitionNOW: KEEPING NOTES.)