Subject: [Leica] Which one you prefer?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Mar 1 19:31:24 2006

Luis Ripoll showed:
>>> I've posted 2 pictures, and I'm not really decided which one I prefer.
>>> I'll
> appreciate your comments, thanks for looking!
>> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4176099
>>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4176094

Luis,
My very first re-action to both?  "they are too posed" almost like you
said... "OK kiss her."  and he tried.  "Click!" The second is the same, but
it might as well be two mannequins.

Now to make a hard nose choice, number 1 is the better of two because it has
good composition, unfortunately no feel to it and that's what a kiss is
supposed to illustrate, warmth and affection! This guy looks like he's
kissing a wet mackerel! ;-) She looks like she's kissing a block of ice.

#2 just doesn't work period and best left on the editing floor.

Look at their bodies in both, they are standing cold and un-affectionate
despite he's giving her a kiss. I mean she doesn't even have an arm around
his neck or shoulders. There isn't any "warmth feel to it."  The vertical
line of the bike and the girl's legs are cut in stone.It's simple things
like this that make a major difference in a warm or cold photograph
depicting an "affectionate moment?"

If we use the famous "Paris street kiss" as an example of how it might look
with warmth, both of these would certainly look like the guy was a
mannequin.
Neither of these do anything but stand there, but #1 with fine composition.

Sorry I'm so blunt, but sometimes that's how a fellow photographer learns.
ted

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Which one you prefer?)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Which one you prefer?)
Reply from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Which one you prefer?)