Subject: [Leica] scanner software
From: ausdlk at swbell.net (David Keenan)
Date: Mon Feb 27 23:22:11 2006

>A Nikon Coolscan V. Thanks for looking.

What software are you using with the Coolscan?

I have a Coolscan 5000 and VueScan.

I just scanned a roll of Ilford HP5 and had lots of problem with film grain.
I had to turn the "Grain reduction" setting to "Heavy" to get any smoothness
into the scans.

The scans were also over-exposed. I will rerun the roll to address the
exposure problem and maybe that contributed to the accentuated grain.

I have heard that the Nikon scanners weren't the best for b&w film. Maybe
I've found out why.

Any comments?

Dave.
--