Subject: [Leica] Re: 50/2.8 Elmars...
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sat Feb 25 16:19:12 2006

Colin J <smcj35@yahoo.com> writes in part:

> I still haven't decided whether to keep it, as I
> have a Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM that I like very
> much, mainly because of the useful f/1.4 maximum
> aperture (the only f/1.4 M mount lens I own) and
> the fact that it works beautifully on my Leica
> IIIf body, which obviously is not the case for my
> 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M.
>
> The serial number is 3935*** and the lens was
> made in Germany. Please can anyone tell me where
> this sample fits into the various different
> versions of this lens?

Colin,

Is the 50/1.4 LTM lens a Canon lens that was made in Germany or a Leica
Summilux lens in LTM? I didn't know that Canon made any lenses in Germany.

If it is a silver LTM Summilux with that serial number, it is one of the
very limited edition modern formula LTM lenses made in 1999 and 2000 for
Lemon Camera in Japan.

Mine is serial number 3877XXX.

Regards,

Greg