Subject: [Leica] Re: Bogus M2-R Auction
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Mon Feb 20 18:29:19 2006

Over the years, I've encountered several chrome M2 cameras from that 1164xxx
batch that had the M4 type loading inside, with no distinguishing external
features vs. a standard late M2. I've always understood these to be of the
original US military contract, precedent to the later civilian-issued M2-R
engraved cameras.

So the seller is guilty at most of a rather confusing, convoluted, and
easily misinterpreted description.. The camera started life as a late M2
with factory installed rapid load inside, and was indeed delivered to the US
military as part of the KS15(4) contract.

Who painted it black is anybody's guess. Not Leica, I'll wager.

See here (scroll down) for several similar cameras, including some in black
paint:

http://www.leicatime.com/000-leica_m.htm

Emanuel