Subject: [Leica] re: silver vs pixels
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Mon Feb 20 16:38:28 2006

While you may say that you prefer the photographer who takes the photo
in the camera to the one who make it in the darkroom, I hasten to
inform you are dreaming if you think all the work can be done at the
moment you snap the photo. It is the rare photo, that comes out of the
camera without needs a little here and there. This is true in the
digital and the wet darkroom. When you snap the photo, the process has
only just begun. If the day is overcast, you have to deal with the lack
of contrast. If you don't, you will have a flat photo. An awareness of
how photos print will allow you to expose your photos better.

Now I imagine you know that great Ansel Adams' photo of sunset over....
That photo could not be done the way it is without much work in the
darkroom. The sky could not have been that dark to have gotten that
exposure without the moon looking differently.

I might add that even if one takes a perfect photo, one is dependant
upon a lab to print it correctly. My experience has been that most labs
are dreadful. If you find a good one, never let it go. I started to
print my own photos in order to get the most out of my prints.

First you take the photo. Then you have to print it and a good photo
can be ruined through poor printing. If you are just a "shooter," that
is someone who just shoots, I guess this doesn't matter. Photography
can be more than just shooting, however. There is a place for skill in
the field backed up by skill in the wet or digital darkroom.

Cheers--Doug

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] re: silver vs pixels)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] re: silver vs pixels)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] re: silver vs pixels)