Subject: [Leica] silver vs pixels
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Feb 19 13:14:02 2006

I guess that sort of expresses my feeling as well. When sitcoms started
using tape instead of film back in the "All in the Family" years, I didn't
like the effect. It WAS a cleaner and brighter *live* look, but it seemed to
lack an inherent mass that film gives the impression of having. I think
Robert Capa's pictures show a lot of grit and substance that would have been
lost had he been using digital back then (not that he had a choice). I like
the denseness of B&W silver halide, not to mention its archival qualities
(particularly after a hard disk crash in 2004 destroyed every digital image
I had taken up until then.

I just hope someone, anyone, will keep making silver halide B&W film.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com