Subject: [Leica] A Few of My Favorite Things
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Sun Feb 12 21:38:33 2006

Hi Rob, Frank & Don -

Nice toys!  All of them - the Leica too!  My favorite - a Colt pattern 1911!

I built my own up from a Colt Enhanced, added McCormick internals, a match
bushing on a stock barrel, and low mounted adjustable sight, Ed Brown ambi
and grip safeties, and a few other doo dads.  Later I took the full length
guide-rod back out and went standard - didn't need the complexity.  Shoots
1" from the bags at 25yds using 200 gr LSWC over 4.8 bullseye.  Duty load is
Hydra Shok.    You're right, old slab sides is a boat anchor in the belt
after a 12 hour day though, so a lightly modified Browning Hi-Power is my
carry choice, with Hydra Shoks- of course.  BTW - a darn good belt is
critical in making a darn good holster work right for all day use.

Now that I can get a Kahr at cost, I think this will become the summer gun
of choice (9mm or .45 - it's all about placement).  That's another thing
about carrying a Leica and camera gear around, you can wear a photographers
vest and hide a fair size piece and two spare mag's with no problem - summer
or winter.  Probably the one problem with carrying is that you have to make
an effort to avoid going into those scary places to take pictures.  Hell man
- you're armed and carrying around expensive toys - now that's got to be a
guaranteed way to start trouble.  When you're armed it's incumbent upon you
to make the extra effort to avoid trouble.

Contact me off line at puff11@comcast.net if you'd like and we can talk some
more about this kind of shooting without disturbing the citizens.

Best of light,
Norm

Rob,

Your Springfield looks much like my Kimber Super Match.
It really is amazing how far 1911's have come as far as accuracy
goes. Mine is a tack driver too. For carry, I stuck with a pseudo-1911 -
the Para C7 LDA. Very nice pistol. For competition, single action
is great. However, it makes me a bit nervous to carry cocked and
locked. That is what is great about the LDA.

Frank Farmer Jackson, Miss.