Subject: [Leica] Lower 9th Ward - Now is it complete without a theme?
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu Feb 9 15:44:46 2006

>But maybe let's hear what Jeffrey has to say about this?

I agree with both of you. At this point, I have not tried to even arrange
the images in some sort of coherent fashion. I'm just posting them as I have
scanned them (choosing among those shot at 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm). To this
end, the "gallery" is really just random, as Slobodan says, just a
walk-through of what I have seen down there. So it is prose without the
poetry, and not even good prose as I haven't tried to make it logical yet.
Sort of like a cook who just cooks 6 different things and puts them all on a
tray. Not a good "presentation". Mike Stoesz suggest that I bring someone
with me, someone who can write some narrative to accompany the pictures, and
I think his and Slobodan's suggestions are valid. I am trying to record what
is happening, a la "War Photographer", but some narrative would make it
complete. If you have seen the award-winning film "Night and Fog" (1955), it
has some compelling photography, but the poetic narration (and subtitles)
are what makes it complete film of Nazi atrocities. I have only scraped the
surface of that by adding captions.

Ultimately, it would be more effective by perhaps grouping similar images
adjacent to one another. There are certainly several themes here (the most
obvious of which is "Houses Sitting On Cars". I hope to do some slow walking
through there this weekend to find some smaller, less spectacular shots.
Looking at the trees instead of the forest. Some sort of organization of it
all may come to mind for me.

Thanks to Phillipe and Slobodan for making me give this some thought. :-)

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Lower 9th Ward - Now is it complete without a theme?)