Subject: [Leica] Re: My father
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Feb 7 00:03:07 2006

I want to thank everyone who has sent their condolences on the death of my
father.  It really helped me to "hear" the outpouring of sympathy from so
many of my LUG friends from all over the world.

It's also been gratifying to hear the response of people to the old
Kodachrome and recent Tri-X pictures of Dad that I posted here.  When it
comes down to what's *really* important, a good, character-revealing
picture of a loved one is worth more to each of us than the best landscape
or the grittiest street photo.

I'm going to pass along a piece of advice of my own.  If your parents are
living, sit down with them and a tape recorder, and have them tell you
their life story.  It preserves many details that will be forgotten
otherwise.  I did this with my own parents 20 years ago.  The day before my
father's funeral, I listened to his tape.  It, along with the old photos,
helped me to keep in mind my Dad as he was most of his life, as opposed to
those wrenching last days.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Re: My father)