Subject: [Leica] Recommendations for an enlarger
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Feb 6 21:53:06 2006

Well, compared with the V35 it is cumbersome. No Autofocus, the
negative holder is OK, but if the neg has a curl at all, its very hard
to put it in position (6x6 negs especially). I don't mind the focus
mechanism and the height adjustments are fine, the light boxes I have
seem good, though the light to illuminate the colour dials is caput. I
have an Ilford 500 head for b/w and changing it for the colour is a bit
of a fiddle, quite apart from it being soooo heavy. The transformers
are large, the colour head has its own timer, but I'd prefer to be able
to use my Jobo 7000 to set it off. The Ilford head produces enough heat
to melt the poles (not Devere's fault I realize). Changing neg size
involves changing the carrier plates, and if you are not careful, you
"lose" the top plate when pulling it out (mine is now glass, so I've
taped the hole to stop me doing this again) Changing neg sizes requires
using differing light boxes - no big deal, but you have to have
somewhere to store them.

In reality, I enjoy using it and the results are fine, but its not a
fast easy solution, and I would not use it for 35mm often.

My only comparison was a Durst  6x6 enlarger, which was less "fussy".