Subject: [Leica] Another 18 photos from the Lower 9th Ward
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Mon Feb 6 17:10:29 2006

In Mississippi, the storm surge (a wall of water) wiped everything near the
shore completely off the face of the land. All people could find was their
slab foundation. During Katrina, a lot of damage in New Orleans was from the
wind. The wind wiped out the entire power grid of Entergy, and it took a
month to get it up and running in my neighborhood (the least affected
because of the lack of trees). It was conventional wisdom that brick houses
are safe, but Katrina knocked down brick buildings and brick walls along
with roofs. Cinderblock walls fared better. Then came the slow rising of
water on the east bank and in New Orleans east, and a massive deluge of
water in the lower 9th ward. Most of the destruction I've been shooting has
been from the two deluges of water in the Lower 9th Ward, first with
Katrina, and then again 3 weeks later with Rita. I have no idea of how deep
it got, but it was enough to lift buildings, float them some distance, and
then deposit them on top of cars.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com