Subject: [Leica] poorly framed & composed snaps?
From: evanowski at gmail.com (Edmund Evanowski)
Date: Mon Feb 6 13:17:32 2006

Hi Ted,

Thanks taking the time to look at and critique my photos...and for not
raking me over too much. :-)

Ted Grant wrote:

>Hi Ed,
>Welcome, the toughest one is the first one posted After that it becomes a
>piece of cake. :-) Because you've lurked you already know we sometimes rake
>a shooter over a tad. By the same token where praise is deserved we give
>it.
>So get ready;-)

I'm ready.

>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/evanowski <<<<<
>
>_R1_027_12... Train on bridge over river:
>I think what you reacted to were the reflections on the side of the rail
>cars, but the exposure is under therefore loosing the highlights. All the
>brush and tree branches overwhelm the scene also.
>
>Our human eyes see through this brush without seeing it in focus when we
>visually focus on the train. but the camera doesn't do this, therefore the
>bushes become interfering with a clean picture of the train.
>The other thing causing the under exposure, if you used a light meter, is
>quite probably the large sky area creating an under exposure for all the
>land area. Something to keep in mind while shooting with large areas of sky
>is point the meter to read slightly more to the middle or ground area.
>
>And without question bracket, that is shoot more than one frame shoot
>several by adjusting the shutter speed or aperture for various settings
>above and below what the meter shows to use.

Thanks for reminding me...bracketing is something I usually forget to do.

>_R1_021_9... Flatbed on siding with ties.
>
>My gut feeling is I'd have stepped more to the left and filled more of the
>frame showing the car on about a 45 degree angle filling the frame front to
>back

I'll try this the next time I shoot something from an angle...

>with the rail car and ties rather than the trees and grass and out of
>focus bridge? in the background.
>
>It's changing the angle from the same position by stepping away from the
>car
>an becoming on that 45 degree angle will maintain good soft light.
>
>This kind of thing improves with practice, as in the more you shoot the
>better you'll become. The more things you try the better your eyes will
>see.
>Look at it this way.... we on the list pretty well all started the same
>way.
>Don't take comments personally, it's always about the pictures and not you
>the person.
>
>_R1_023_10 your son for comparison of size.
>
>We all do this with our kids at sometime or other,  that's part of the idea
>when we take family pictures. Yes we can do, good,bad and ugly and teh more
>we do the better we get and the easier it becomes for the children if you
>can make it a game where they can be involved doing something than as
>you've
>done here... "stand there and look at daddy!" yep they're cool also at
>times, but a slightly different angle might have been him squatted down by
>the under carriage and looking up at the size of the wheels or some other
>thing. In this way he becomes interested in how big it is and not
>thinking..."oh here we go again dad and his stupid camera!" ;-)

...he doesn't call the camera stupid yet...but, he usually gives me the big
cheesy grin.

>Working with the kids becomes a game, get them involved and they'll forget
>"Dad and his stupid camera!" Your keep sake pictures of your don and if
>other children,

I have another son who will be turning one years old soon...

> become far more memorable than the 8 thousand sick "happy
>snaps of... "look at daddy and smile!"

Grandma usually likes these...

>And yes we've all done those! But try to avoid them at all cost as they
>don't show the real child when they're involved doing things.

...but I'll try to avoid them.

>I hope this helps.

Thank-you! Your criticism is always welcome!