Subject: [Leica] Recommendations for an enlarger
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Feb 6 12:40:49 2006

Adam,

I'd look for a D2/D3 chassis and find an Aristo VCL 4500 head. Hard to
find a used Aristo VCL, though. I think that says a lot about how good
they are.

As far as lenses, the 63mm El-Nikkor for 35mm is excellent. I like
El-Nikkors. I've owned Componons and Rodagons, but I sold them except
for an 80 APO Rodagon which is exceptional. I have 50, 80, 135 and 150
el-Nikkors

I have a D2 with a standards Aristo. I also have a Focomat 1c. The
Focomat is an amazing enlarger. It's the last piece of darkroom
equipment I'd ever part with. Its only drawback is that it has a built
in 8x10 easel, so making larger prints is a pita.

The Focomat is a gorgeous piece of machinery.  I've thought about
retiring it from the darkroom and putting in my office for decoration.

One of the best things I ever bought for my darkroom was a Zig align
tool.  It made a huge difference on my D2, especially when printing big.

I have a bw darkroom in my house, but I'll be moving soon. I plan to
have a darkroom in my new house. I may just use a small closet space for
the enlarger and develop in normal light using a rotary processor.

I love making silver prints. The only problem is the time it takes. If I
could get everything right the first pass without having to make test
strips and prints I'd prefer silver to digital printing. I'm sure
there's a way I could scan a negative, open it in PS, get the look I
want, and then based on the densitometer and adjustments figure out the
exact time and filtration for a WYSIWYG silver print. It may not even be
possible, but at some point I may give it a shot.

I like digital, but I could be quite content to only shoot bw film. What
a relief to stop wasting time wondering about the next big thing in
digital, and just make photographs. Alas, it's easier said than done.

DaveR