Subject: [Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Feb 5 20:26:51 2006

Tina Manley showed:
>>> These were all shot at 800 or higher.  There was no other way to
> shoot them.  I ate worms at times, too, but I still prefer photography in
> low light.  ;-)<<<

> http://www.leica-gallery.net/tinamanley/image-29684.html
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/kit1.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/murillos.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/tortilla.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/tortilla.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/jesusita.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/moskito.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/maria.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/salina.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/paulina.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/weldi.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/ordinand.htm
> http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/Honduras/amilcar.htm (3200 for
> this one! Horrors!)

Tina,
One needs say but one thing, "beautiful available light photography, by
almost available darkness."

I don't know what the hell the problem is with some people on this list who
don't understand some of us are motivated by the light we see illuminating
the subject as the motivating factor! We don't start thinking about the
numbers, we re-act and shoot! So what's the crap about not shooting by
800-1600-3200?

Because if it takes 800-1600 or 3200 to capture that moment, then why not
shoot it with that rating, be it film or digital? The end result, no matter
how you set the metering, it's how the photograph looks and did you capture
the near as possible perfect moment?

The camera doesn't matter, the film or card doesn't matter, but the person
holding the machine is what matters who does it by feel, not numbers!

So whatever your subject is and you're motivated forget the numbers as some
people think it should be according to the book and do what your heart and
gut tells you. Shoot! And for crying out loud don't think, do it by feel of
body.. just shoot the damn thing and if it doesn't work it's no big deal.

If you take the time to look at Tina's photography as posted and can
honestly say you have a problem with them because they were shot by
available light at 800 or higher, then you have a major problem if you ever
consider being a photojournalist in real life. Quite probably, even just
having fun with photography as it should be practiced!

You see Tina's kind of photography is made by someone who shoots by her
heart and gut, not by one who goes by the numbers and all the techie crap!

ted

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)