Subject: [Leica] Sidewalk washer (how to crop?)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jan 29 22:10:54 2006

I got the second roll of film from the LHSA San Francisco meeting back a
couple of weeks ago.  I really like this picture, and am of two minds about
how to crop it.  It was a grab shot on the street with a 35mm
Summicron.  You may recognize the rear ends of three well-known LHSA
members in the background.   :-)

I find the tighter crop funnier, and the looser crop a showing a bit more
context.  Can't decide which is "better."  Almost every non-photographer
I've asked is just as torn as I am, with a slight preference for the looser
crop.

Here's the original frame, no cropping:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album186/E007HoseFullFrame

Here's the looser crop:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album186/E007HoseCropLoose

And the tighter crop:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album186/E007HoseCropTight

Whatcha think?

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, and Neopan 400.  Low-res scan from Ivey, a local
pro-lab.  I'll probably rescan this myself to print it eventually.  I
cropped to the proportions of 8.5 x 11 inches, 'cause that's my normal
big-print size, but I'm not religiously wedded to those proportions.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Sidewalk washer (how to crop?))
Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Sidewalk washer (how to crop?))
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Sidewalk washer (how to crop?))