Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: longand occasionally on topic
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 29 12:29:39 2006

Frank Dernie offered wisely:
>>> Lots of people had it right, the problem IMO is that we live in a
> world where image is more important than content. Frankly very few
> drivers (who can afford them) can drive a sports car near the limit.  <<<

Hi Frank,
I'm not sure how the police or whomever can stop "street racing" as we see
in the big cities of Canada and getting worse. The young guys think they
have a hot machine they can drive it as though in the video games racing
fictitious streets of wherever, crashing and everyone walks away as soon as
the re-set button is pushed.

In Vancouver, street racing with super hot Honda's and other fast machines
is the in thing. The politicians are wringing hands, (no guts to pass laws)
to impound and crush the cars at an auto wrecking yard. Women are crying
everytime some late teen, early 20 gets killed in a crash or they loose
control killing a bystander on the street. That's worse and if the driver
survives it should be automatic jail for life, period!

No damn lawyer pleading he's sorry, he didn't mean it bullshit! It's in the
slammer, throw the key away!

We have a few killed nearly every week, the other night 3 killed in a BMW
535i or something along those lines, driver clipped another car while
passing, lost control, hit a highway light standard, ripped the car in half
and spread the remains for 100 yards, one half on one side of the highway
and the other on the opposite side not to mention body parts... all in their
early 20's..

Police have no idea how two survived of the 5, one of those is so broken up
in bone parts isn't expected to make it. In this case probably the best
thing that could happen to him!

And the car they were racing stopped for a moment, looked at the wreckage
then sped off leaving them to die. Nice friends!

Years ago when I drove Sprints, midgets and stocks on dirt tracks it never
occurred to me to race on the street, actually I and I know many other
drivers considered the most dangerous place to drive was on the street,
certainly never the track.

But these young street racers of today haven't got one clue what driving,
let alone driving at high speed is all about. "Re-action to the unexpected?"
They are absolutely dead because they have no idea how to re-act they think
it's like in the video game the cars will crash together, spin around and
carry right on.

Accept in real life the dead don't get up & walk away, but lie their while
the Leica carrying news photographers shoot away at the carnage.

ted

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: longand occasionally on topic)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: long and occasionally on topic)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: long and occasionally on topic)