Subject: [Leica] OT- LF get-together in the West
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Fri Jan 27 00:02:21 2006

Hey Mike,
Offer accepted - date TBD.

I've been there - and fell in love with the place - except that's where my
R4 went tummy up on me - only I didn't know it till I got the K-chromes
back.  I was camping at the Grand Teton and Yellowstone, shot 10 rolls of
K-Chrome, and sent them off to get processed.  When I got home I had some
very poorly exposed slides.  That led to trading the pre-1.6M serial number
beast in for a RE, which I miss now, but am glad to have subsequently traded
for a M6.  My beautiful bride and I have talked of making another sojourn
through there, looping the Rockies and visiting the Nat'l parks, taking a
month on the road and enjoying the time.  We've been through before - so we
have every desire to go again.

If it wasn't for the harsh winter she'd be willing to relocate, but winters
are cold enough, I don't want to spend them without her.  Likewise, I have
family in Denver, and we want to drive through and visit, but I doubt she'll
live there either.  For now we are Puget Sound residents, making a go of a
little one acre plot that she's turning into a garden and orchard.  Someday
I may get the Lazy B to relocate us to Scotland or Italy (lord willing), and
we'll do that for a while.  I have an powerful emotional resonance with
Scotland (past life??), and I want to go there for a few years, but then I
want to come home to America again - it's the most beautiful place in the
world - home!

I've traveled CONUS over the years, and every corner and place between has
something to offer - but Wyoming is in the top three in my humble opinion,
along with the Oregon coast and New England.  Of course Arizona and New
Mexico are great, as is South Carolina and  . . well - hell - it's all good!

Of course I do remember checking into a motel in Terra haute and finding
someone's BVDs hanging on the lamp shade drying - but mostly it's all good.

I-80 is a black and white large format route - very much like the Palouse in
eastern Washington - it has virtue, but it's probably not obvious to kids
and non-photographers.  Or at least, I can't make it work in 35mm color . .
my limit probably . . .

Now bringing in a trout on a lightweight rod and 4# test line is good use
for a day all by itself . . .

Best of light,
Norm

Howdy Norm and all;

Please do come visit.  Wyoming isn't all that bad.  Lots of blue skies
with great clouds, sunshine (as much as Phoenix), wide open spaces or
confined woodlands, cold wind and snow, altitude that will take your
breath away, low unemployment, low taxes, a state with a fiscal
surplus, great university.  Check out Laramie on the web at
Lariat.org.
I do not believe there is a motel in town where the rate is over $80
and we are to have a Hilton in the near future.  The football stadium
holds 30,000 and fills--doubling the population of the city on a Sat.
afternoon.  Best time of year to visit is from May to November.

I-80 route is not all that bad btw.  There are some great places to
photograph in all that barreness between Rawlins and Green River.
 Only a small percent of Wyoming is actually mountains, there are lots
more highplains and basins and there is more there than meets the eye
at first glance.

Kind regards, Mike (a Wyoming resident since 1969)(fishing is GREAT)

Mike Stoesz, VP
Rainbow Photography, Inc.
213 Grand Av.
Laramie, Wy. 82070