Subject: [Leica] OT But Interesting NYT Article
From: paulhardycarter at gmail.com (paulhardycarter@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 26 03:22:18 2006

A good piece. One thing that amazed me though was the author's
implication that the reason Ke?tos work hadn't 'quadrupled in value'
in eight years was basically because he was African and black. I can
assure you that 99.9 per cent of photographer's work doesn't quadruple
in value in that time.

He then goes on to say that if this was Cartier-Bresson it would be a
different story. Of course it would! Cartier-Bresson is in an almost
unique position in photography. To compare practically anyone else
with that position will show inequalities.

And by the way, Cartier-Bresson's work hasn't quadrupled in price in
eight years either. Being the fine chap he was, and having a proper
understanding of his medium, he never sold anything as a limited
edition - because that is not the nature of photography. The negative
is the limited edition - limited to one - but prints are not limited.
He always had as many prints made as people wanted, and left
instructions that after his death that this should continue. You can
buy a print of any of his pictures today, just call Magnum. They start
at USD5,000.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter