Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW - Week 3 - Jeffery --- Nagin
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Wed Jan 25 15:41:26 2006

I've worked for a lot of Mayors in Houston over a long time--some were
terrible, some fantastic, and most just OK--but by comparison Nagin takes
the cake as the most incompetant I've ever witnessed. Is that idiot running
for re-election or is he hopefully term-limited? La. could probably use a
new Governor also. just my two cents worth.

  Bill

Jeffery Smith <jsmith342@cox.net> wrote:
  I was in the first group allowed back in the city (my house is 150 years
old, in the Irish Channel and high and dry). People were let back into the
city in increments, depending on the condition of their neighborhood. The
Lower 9th Ward was the hardest hit, and those people were not allowed back
in for months. When they were finally allowed to come back and salvage what
they could, they were told that the entire Lower 9th Ward would be bulldozed
to the ground (it doesn't have far to go). That set off some legal battles,
and things are still sort of gridlocked. Even if people do plan to scrape
off their land and rebuild, they cannot get insurance nor can they get
water, electricity, gas, phones, etc. It is taking months for reality to set
in. The most that has been done is scraping the mud and debris from the
streets. I don't know how they plan to get that enormous barge back into the
canal.

> From: Ted Grant
> Date: 2006/01/25 Wed AM 09:40:41 EST
> To: Leica Users Group
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: PAW - Week 3 - Jeffery
>
> Hi Jeffery,
> > To all of you who have commented, thank you much for your moral support.
> > I'll try to get as many scenes on film as I can. I have waited too long
> > get started on this. It is fortuitous that nothing down there has
> > changed
> > in 5 months.<<<
>
> As an outsider I maybe stepping on some folks toes asking my question
> regarding your comment:
>
> I realize that this was a disaster of great magnitude, however in the most
> powerful country in the world, "how come it's still in the same
> condition?"
> Certainly after 5 months? I don't doubt there's been a great deal done,
> but
> your photographs so far look as though the storm happened a few days ago.
>
> Just curious.
> ted

Jeffery