Subject: [Leica] The lower 9th ward
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 23 17:55:43 2006

I understand, and I'm getting to the point of facing it. If things were back
to normal down here, it would be easy. But it is a 25 minute drive through
abandoned neighborhoods just reaching the lower 9th ward. The upper 9th ward
has people living in abandoned lots in tents. There is still no electricity,
no traffic lights, and no police. I've never witnessed this degree of
devastation before. I'm also suffering from some "survivor guilt" as my
house is antebellum and is on high ground. Inside my walls, things are back
to normal. Most of the people (students and personnel) at the college lost
their houses and are living with relatives in other cities or in FEMA
trailers. I'm going to try to find someone to go with me Saturday. I don't
feel safe walking around there when there is really no city left.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com