Subject: [Leica] Divided D-76, and the lower 9th ward
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Jan 22 16:10:44 2006

I should have taken a picture of a group of people who have set up shop and
are voicing their intention to "come home". I needed a 21mm lens to get a
shot of them looking so optimistic while surrounded by complete ruins. There
is no way to rebuild that area of the city without razing it first.
Everything is covered with a layer of muck that should probably be scraped
off and deposited in a landfill away from civilization. Lakeview is a
different story. The houses need to be gutted, treated for mold and
bacteria, and then rebuilt. Lakeview was subjected to very slowly rising
waters that stayed for weeks. The lower 9th ward was subjected to a deluge
that ripped the houses from their foundations and then just sat
there...followed by a second deluge with Rita three weeks later. The body of
water that ripped through the levee in the lower 9th ward is more river-like
than the two drainage ditches that flooded most of New Orleans. I'm going to
try to get a "driver" for me next week so I can jump out on the Claiborne
bridge and shoot 20-30 shots and jump back in. The view is scary, especially
with an enormous barge just inside the residential area.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com