Subject: [Leica] Shooting a new sport
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 22 09:51:08 2006

Adam Bridge did hockey! ;-)

Adam said:,
> This is the best one I think:
> > <http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/01/20/_L3U8480-shrp.jpg>

Hi Adam,
Show no fear mon ami just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine!!
:-) This hockey stuff is very good. I'd say damn well done with a big good
on you.

Hockey like any sport with something thrown, hit or fired along the ice
needs to be in the picture. Hockey is all about putting that little rubber
puck in the net! And your first frame is as good as it gets. Action in front
of the net, an out stretched goalie and puck right where it should be.... in
the net! Bravo! :-)

Others may get on the "fighting crap" however only morons and mini-brained
idiots think the goon squad antics are necessary for a great hockey game.
Stupid people! When I judge press photography competitions I throw out all
the hockey fighting pictures right at the beginning, saves a considerable
amount of time looking at garbage.

> <http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/01/20/_L3U8416-shrp.jpg>
>
> I like the checking action in this one:
>
> <http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/01/20/_L3U8460-shrp.jpg>

Checking and banging bodies into the glass or boards is as much of the
action as scoring goals, so one must always be ready for this, particularly
when it's right in your face. :-)

 > <http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/01/20/_L3U8477-shrp.jpg>
This is second best shot, again well caught at the right moment. The puck
makes the picture work.

> So being there, very close to the ice, gave me a new perspective. The
> light was not the greatest - florescent fixtures for the most part in
> star arrays over the ice. I had to work at ASA 1600 and looking at the
> images I think I should have been at 3200. The action happened between
> the ranges of my zoom lenses. The 70-200 was too long and the 24-70
> was a bit too short. I was wishing for that ever-favourite 50-150 zoom!<<<

Best to not get all hung up on lenses. Primes are best 80 or 90 working from
the side of the arena directly inline with the goalie and net will nicely
fill the frame with body action and always hopefully the puck in there some
where.

If it's serious shooting always a body with a wide for those moments when
the players crash right in front of you to the glass somewhat like you did.

Don't get into all the "thinking process of what to do" just keep the camera
to your eye and follow focus as they come into your goal end and shoot.
Never mind about film just shoot all the dang action that motivates you.
You're not likely going to get all of it, but just shoot everything you're
motivated by.

Forget shooting at things happening at the other end of the ice, waste of
time, they never or rarely work even using a 300mm. Concentrate on the goal
right where you are and hope this is the loosing team because that means
more action at your end. ;-) No point being at the end of the rink where
nothing happens, go with the team most likely to win and shoot their
opposing goalie.

However, be aware sometimes that doesn't work in theory. ;-)

Keep covering the games and soon it'll be like photographing kids with ice
cream cones.

> Now I'm sure there are hockey people rolling their eyes -<<<<

Screw them let them show us their pictures considering what you've posted!
ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Shooting a new sport)