Subject: [Leica] OT: Did anyone else think of Mark Rabiner when they read this?
From: mcyclwritr at comcast.net (mcyclwritr@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 19 08:38:54 2006

I love the Dilbert photographer series.

I was a free-ranger for 18 years. When an out-of-the-blue offer came for my
current cube-based gig, I was struck speechless. As in, could not speak for
at least five seconds. Total synaptic lock-up. Fortunately, I was able to
acclimate gradually as an on-site freelancer. For the first couple months, I
went off the clock about 2 p.m. each day. That eased the in-captivity
anxiety. It also helped when a friend observed that it doesn't have to be a
full-time job for life. Maybe just six months.

Good things? Not shaking the bushes for work. Not calling to get invoices
paid after 60 or 90 days. Not paying quarterly taxes. Not feeling free to
hit the road out of fear I'll miss the call for an assignment. A benefits
plan that costs $46 a month. That's the high-end plan, by the way. $20
co-pays. For anything. So, if I really get B.D. hacked-off and he runs me
over with a bus, it's twenty bucks. Semi-blown up in a terrorist attack?
Twenty bucks. By-pass procedure? Twenty bucks.

Now, if I can just hang on until spring.

-Chris "Working For The Man" Lawson

From: Ric Carter <ricc@mindspring.com>