Subject: Noisy digital shadows - was: Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Jan 16 14:31:09 2006

At 05:08 PM 1/16/2006, you wrote:
>When I use my Canon digital SLR, I am always mindful
>of the possibility of blown highlights.
>
>- Phong

Phong -  He uses a lot of disclaimers on his site for getting the
most dynamic range from digital.  Shooting RAW adds tremendously to
what you are able to get out of digital file.  I'm amazed at the
dynamic range I get with 5D and the 1Ds, but I never shoot anything
but RAW.  There are also a couple of software programs that can
extend the dynamic range.  I've seen some incredible examples using
Photoshop CS2's HDR action.  I haven't used that because you need two
photos, one exposed for the highlights and one for the shadows, so
you'd have to use a tripod.  That's not my kind of shooting, but I
did merge one "developed" for the highlights and one "developed" for
the shadows in Adobe Camera Raw.  Here are the results:
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/why_raw

I can get a lot more range with digital than I ever could with film.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) (Noisy digital shadows - was: Re: [Leica] re: digital treadmill)