Subject: [Leica] Digital storage etc.
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Jan 13 22:43:51 2006

Doug,

If you are talking about casual snapshooters (and that is implied by the
  mention of the proverbial shoebox) then they usually did not keep the
negatives, just the prints. So that should be the standard for comparison.

Now, with digital, the printing kiosks all over the place are providing
the solution. During my recent trip to Poland I showed my sister how to
use the self-service printing kiosk at the local Media Markt (a large
European TV/electronics/computer chain). From her perspective, this is
better than with film: stick in the card, select the images she wants
printed on the touch screen, type in her name and address (this step can
be eliminated if you get a store fidelity card) and take the receipt the
machine prints. A couple of days later the prints can be picked up at
the store.

The only question is how durable those prints will be, but that too will
be fixed (if it isn't already). It is the same as with the shift to
color in the 1950s and 60s: the early color prints were awful in terms
of durability. The ones you get now can be expected to hold up well.

I am a great believer in the market's ability to solve problems like
this. My sister has no computer or printer, and yet for her now getting
prints from her digital P&S is as easy and cheaper than it was with film.

I am also confident that for us serious shooters, who have thousands and
thousands of images, the market will also find a solution that will
provide storage that is inexpensive, durable and future-proof. At the
moment, my images reside on external hard drives and DVDs, but I expect
  that in 5 years I will have moved them onto something cheaper, smaller
and better. The market is good at this sort of thing--it will not solve
global warming without government intervention, but it will solve the
problem of storing digital images.

Nathan