Subject: [Leica] OT: Hasselbald XPAN II
From: AHGRAVES at prodigy.net (AHGRAVES@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Jan 13 06:39:00 2006

My local camera shop owner often tried to make this
argument when selling cameras to soccer moms. The
problem that he ren into is that it takes many of them
3 or 4 months to finish a roll. During that time, no
pictures. With digital, you can see the pictures
instantly on the LCD. Goodby film, whatever the cost.

On the other hand, living here in a town with a large
university, he has noticed that the film use by the
college students has actually gone up. They have
figured out that they can buy a very good film camera
and an assortment of lenses for a fraction of the cost
of an equivalent digital system and have LOTS left to
pay for film. They are also a lot more savvy than the
average consumer when it comes to scaanning film to CD
and having the best of both worlds. Maybe film isn't
quite dead yeat.

As an aside,I think that the death of current NEW film
cameras is due in part to the fact that there is so
much good used equipment out there going for pennies
on the dollar. A lot of pros, for valid financial and
practical reasons, have gone digital and dumped a huge
amount of film equipment onto an already shrinking
market. Many of the cameras sold in the 80's and early
90's essentially had all of the technology that the
newest cameras have, so even before the emergence of
digital there was no compelling reason to trade up for
a new camera and the 35mm SLR market was already
declining. Digital just accelerated some pre-existing
trends.

Allen