Subject: [Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Tue Jan 10 19:15:14 2006

Hi Richard, I take quite a number of photos under Tungsten light and I
never have major problems as you describe. Usually I meter off some gray
tone and set the camera to manual if it is the M7 and just forget about it.
I did some searching after I read your posts, I use 3 types of image
capture medium:
- for the last 6-8 months, mostly Tri X, HP5+ etc.
- for the last 12 months, most color works are done on the Epson R-D1
(digital)
- before that, most are shot in Provia slides

I notice that the B&W just don't have any major problems to speak of.
Indoor the Epson shots do seem to have more problems, but I was assuming it
is because the Epson meter is not as semi-spot as the Leica's. However, on
checking the slides, it seems to have some problems too. Then I was
assuming that the slides just respond badly to tungsten.

So may be it really is that normal silver B&W films have no problems with
tungsten, but when you use digital sensors, or slides, or even the
chromogenic B&W, that the spectral responses do not match well with the
tungsten output?

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] Underexposure in Tungsten Light)